Thursday 18 February 2010

56 Hours Left!

So, I was moving steadily along with my burlesque ball outfit, and then I had a small disaster strike. (Yes the outfit was fine, not at all affected) My top floor apartment flooded with the rain in Sydney a couple of weeks ago... I know, it takes all kinds of skill to make that happen. So I had over a week of my lounge room and bedroom looking like a disaster zone, with industrial fans, pulled up carpet and furniture haphazardly dragged away from sodden carpet. Maybe I'll show you a photo some day.

But that really meant that work on my outfit ground to a halt for well over a week. The days have all blurred together, but somewhere in there I actually added another 2 layers of tulle to the tutu skirt, attached the silk skirt while also making a channel for elastic. so the skirt is in one piece and just needing small adjustments, looking mostly like this:

Skirt attached and channel stitched at the same time saved me effort

And when you look underneath, you get this!

And when you look from the side, you get this
(and the clear fact I have to adjust some lengths of tulle)

And then of course, since the costume is coming together, I need to think about the accessories. I'm looking at making pasties, but given the disaster, that may not happen (and they were only going to be in case of wardrobe malfunction anyway - I'm not THAT extroverted). I have undergarments, and I have shoes sorted, so it's all about the fascinator...


Now, since I had Sooooo much tulle, it seems only sensible to whack some of it in my hair. I sat on my bed last night and played around with it to try and figure out how/ what to make. I went with the simple option, varigated height and colour.


I started with a big bit of white and a smaller bit of blue, both doubled over

Then I gathered the suckers (are you seeing tutu similarlities?)

Stitch it to an old somewhat broken hair comb
I'm lazy and didn't want to waste a perfectly good comb!
(Though I may live to regret the use of an old comb, ce la vie)

Whack it in your hair and you're most of the way there!

After I put the camera away, I played with it a bit and will add some more bits n pieces to it, and probably wear it differently. I looked at my hair and had some sweeping, brilliant ideas on how to wear it all together, so I imagine this fascinator will be on the side of my head and my hair will do the rest!

So the next two nights and Saturday day will be full steam ahead, finishing the details, adding the final touches and racing out the door fully dressed and made up only to then think about how I'm going to get to Luna Park for the ball...







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking wonderful darlink!

Foxy