Friday 5 February 2010

Tutu Hot!

So with swirly painted silk ready to be sewn together in to some kind of skirt, I'd spent much time thinking about how to create a tutu to lift the hardy-there silk skirt to it's pseudo horizontal position.

Spotlight had a sale on lots of fabric including tulle netting so I bought both white and blue to turn into a tutu. I'd thought about buying a tutu from Platinum Ink in Petersham but thought I should just give making one a go. I'd originally thought of just sewing rows of tulle together with a channel and elastic, but I didn't like the idea of the bunching around my waist. Plus I didn't like to possibility of being all scratched up by bunches of tulle.

So, raiding my stash again, I found some pretty black base fabric with blue oriental flower patterns highlighted with gold. Now the basis for this plan/ pattern, was a strip of fabric with layers of different length tulle sewn on to it. That way the fabric is soft against my body, can be gathered with elastic if need be and will sit underneath the corset and hopefully be hidden. Also it means I can sew the silk skirt directly to the same fabric so the skirt and tutu are all in one piece.

Have I lost you? Here, have a picture:


So it's still in a straight length, it wraps around me well, not tight, so now I have to figure out exactly how I'm going to put it all together.

I've sewn the skirt together, but first I cut some bits off and sewed them back on to make it a more circle skirt shape, though failing at being an actual circle. I also spent the last week hand sewing a rolled hem on the skirt, which hopefully will make it wave nicely while on.

And then, if you put the two together...


It looks like it should be part of a kids climbing gym... this is going to be a crazy outfit, but I'm looking forward to it!

I've had a bit of a crazy thought about faux tattoos with henna... I might yet look in to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking good! Can't wait to see the entire outfit you have in mind!

Foxy!